2/25/15

Cookie Crazy Recipe

Since I've had a couple of people interested in the recipe that I served at my last Stampin' Up Event I thought I would share it plus and minus a few adaptions that I will make in the future.
Cookie Crazy Cupcakes
 makes 24 cupcakes
Ingredients
Cookie Dough Filling
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2½ cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Cupcake
  • 1 box vanilla cake mix, prepared according to package directions
  • 24 Oreo Cookies, plus more for garnish, if desired.
Frosting
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup Biscoff cookie spread or peanut butter
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 3-4 Tbsp milk
Instructions
For Cookie Dough Filling
  1. In stand mixer cream together butter and both sugars until fluffy, turn mixer to low and add in milk and vanilla, speed mixer back up to medium for approximately 30 seconds until smooth. Turn mixer back down to low and stir in flour and salt until incorporated. Fold in mini chocolate chips.
  2. Scoop out dough in heaping tablespoon sized portions and roll into balls. Place on a parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet and place in freezer for at least an hour.
Cupcakes
  1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. Prepare cupcake batter according to package directions. Line 2 (12 count) muffin tins with cupcake liners and place an Oreo cookie in the bottom of each.
  3. Fill each tin with ⅛ cup of cake batter. (This will fill the cupcake liner approx ⅔ full)
  4. Place a ball of frozen cookie dough in the batter. It will not be submerged.
  5. Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes. The edges will be set and golden.
  6. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Frosting
  1. Cream butter and Biscoff or peanut butter in your stand mixer until smooth. Turn mixer to low and slowly add in your powdered sugar and milk. Turn mixer to medium and mix until smooth.
  2. Frost cupcakes.
You can find the recipe here as well and I highly recommend you check out her blog. She has a wonderful blog and you can print off the recipe right from there.

Now as most of you know that follow me, 'cause I've said it before, recipes are like the speed limit and just a guideline and are not to be followed specifically so here are my changes.
I used caramel cake mix.
I accidently bought double stuffed Oreo cookies which took up most of the cupcake tin, so I pulled the cookie apart and only used the half without the cream filling.
I placed the cookie on top of the Oreo then added the cake batter.
I used my cookie dough scoop so I didn't have to roll them to get them round.
I also didn't want to wait for an hour so just froze them while I mixed the cake.
I used Biscoff for my frosting and it was so yummy, I wouldn't even consider using peanut butter. I can and have eaten it by the spoonful right out of the jar.
You can find Biscoff cookie spread in most grocery stores next to the peanut butter. 
I found that the frosting was way to soft to pipe onto the cupcakes in spite of  only using about 1 TBSP of milk so I added more sugar so next time I will only use 1/2 butter.
I also found that with the cookie dough in there, the cake batter does rise as much as regular cupcakes so I would be a lot more generous as mine were very small.
The recipe says it make 24 but I think it would easily make 30 I ended up with 24 regular cupcake and 12 mini and still had leftover cake batter.  Don't worry it didn't go to waste.  I also ended up with a lot of left over cookie dough. Another tip- just go ahead and eat the left over cookie dough as it's much better raw than baked. And for all you fanatics out there that worry about eating raw eggs, there are any so you have my permission to eat it all without baking, just not at one sitting.
I also had a ton of leftover frosting so I think there would still be plenty with half the butter and perhaps a little less sugar.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Hey friend, thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!! You are great! Wonderful blog post.