1/20/08

My new mittens


A friend gave me a pattern for mittens to experiment and play around with so that is exactly what I did. It was -10 degrees outside so I thought it would be the perfect day for making wool mittens. I dug out an old wool sweater that I had inadvertently shrunk and some fleece that I had bought for something else (don't remember what that was for). They are supposed to be buttoned holed together with wool yarn, which I didn't have. So I went digging and found some yarn but it switched colors every few yards. It went from blue to tan to green to burgundy. The green was the perfect color so I started buttonholing around one mitten, then in my quirky ways of doing things I started with the second glove before the first was done. About 3/4 of the way around the second glove, I realized I wasn't going to have enough green yarn, I ended up tearing out what I had done in the first mitten and had just enough to finish one mitten. So I had to do the second mitten in a different color. These were my experimental pair but I'm going to use them anyway. And as my husband point out, I won't have them for long as I have quite a reputation for losing gloves and mittens.

No comments: